Subtitle: How America Fell Behind In The World It Invented and How We Can Come Back
By: Thomas L. Friedman and Michael Mandelbaum
- Churchill said “American will always do the right thing, but only after exhausting all other options.”
- It is not the strongest that survives, it’s the species that is most adaptable to change.
- Globalization will be unkind to any time of routine work.
- Non routine high skill work will become more important and profitable.
- Services and creators are the only two types of jobs (vs. white collar / blue collar).
- Ppl are most satisfied this way also.
- Job as a leader is to create environment so people on the bottom can make all the tough decisions with knowledge and confidence.
- More US students enter college than the ODC countries, but their survival rate is much lower.
- Have Kirra figure out who the best teacher in Third grade is. The principle knows. Make sure she gets that teacher.
- Chinese mothers spend nearly 10 times more time drilling academic needs with their children.
- When children come to school knowing that their parents have high expectation, they like it.
- Figure out how to do a job that differentiates how you do things vs. others.
- When you allow kids to play in a structured way, it builds confidence in exploring something new.
- Find what students want to do and create courses along that route
- For example: entrepreneur programs.
- Gross founded the Idea lab in California.
- He said he looks for startups with courage.
- Overcoming fear of failure is done by failing.
- Barrier to creativity is lack of confidence.
- Failures on a resume that they own up to is better than a success that might be due to luck.
- Successful people are driving by something inside. Not pushed.
- Creativity comes from a general understanding of discipline.
- Young people today are more concerned about the different something will make versus the money it will make.