Subtitle: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die
By: Chip Heath & Dan Heath
Made to stick by healthy
- Six principles: SUCCES
- 1. Simplicity. Shorter the better
- 2. Unexpectedness. Counter intuitive. Use surprise. Interest.
- 3. Concreteness. Images. Etc. bird in hand is worth two in the bus
- 4. Credibility.
- 5. Use emotion. People r more likely to give a gift to a person versus an entire pop. Use for first choice.
- 6. Use stories.
- Example: JFK said to put a man on the moon and return them safely.
- An idea is simple when there is nothing left to substrct from it.
- What’s the lead?
- Simple equals core plus compact.
- Proverbs. Short lang from long experience. So sticky, they spread on their own.
- Pot make memorable use what ppl already know. Associations. Tie to concept u already know. WikiWealth is like Wikipedia. Improves comprehension and memory.
- Pot get attention. Break pattern
- Uncommon actions or sense become sticky.
- Big numbers are difficult to remember or grasp. Analogy works better. Prevents r easier to understand.
- Curiosity arises from knowledge gaps. The more u know the more u want to know to fill the gap.
- Pass around a research report that ask ppl to fill in a little section, when they r done, use the report as a slide presentation to explain the benefits of a wiki.
- Ppl remember things better when it evokes emotion. Think tornadoes versus asthma.
- To get donations, focus on one person versus the masses. More effective.
- Invoke self interest to get ppl to care.
- Dont mess with Texas was a successful campaign because it made ppl cherh the collective be edit over individual benefit.
- The Jared campaign stuck a cord on the inspiration and success checklist and it was unexpected, creditable,
- Telling a story is a great way to deliver a message, because I engages an audience.
- Stories have to be simple.
- Being a good spotter is even more important
- A great speech may not be sticky. A good story or using emotion was stickier.
- The curse of knowledge means ur knowledge fills in gaps that others may not have knowledge of. Good speaker explain not just share data.
- Five steps! important! Sticky ideas: audience pay attention, understand and remember it, care, act on it, agree and believe.
- Creat curiosity gaps that are slowly solved over the course of the communications.